• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FarzanF11

Exercise Routine, help

22 posts in this topic

Hello all, this is my main muscle building plan, i am posting this as i know there are those that have so very much more experience than me and can help me out in changing and or

generally advising me if im doing anything wrong. and what to do to better my routine and how to better my routine.

day 1: chest

5 x bench press , sets of 12

4 x seated incline dumbbell lifts, set of 15/12

4 x incline bench press , set of 12 /10

4 x benched dumbbell flys

finish with large sets of various stomach exercises.

protein shake and meal

day 2: Shoulders

5 x seated dumbbell raises, sets of 10/12

4 x Standing dumbbel Lateral Raises, set of 15/20

4 x seated barbell Shoulder Press , set of 12/10

4 x Seated dumbbell Lateral Raises, set of 12/15

protein shake and meal

day 3: chest

Cardio: 20/40 min run

protein shake and meal

day 4: Triceps

3 x Tricep Dumbbell Kickback , sets of 12/10 per arm

3 x Overhead Triceps Extension (with dumbbells) 10/15 per arm

3 x skull crushes , 12/10 per set

4 x bench dips , set of 15/20

protein shake and meal

day 5: Biceps

5 x Barbell Curl , sets of 12/10

4 x Biceps curls 10/12 per arm

4 x Cross body Hammer Curl , 12/10 per set

4 x Zottman , set of 12/15

protein shake and meal

1 or 2 days rest and then repeat.

I am aware there is no back or leg exercises due to an injury that is now better, but would appreciate any and all critique to current exercises and how to better them and what i should be doing

if i am doing something wrong,

Also i do stomach almost every day, the results are great but i do allot of stomach exercises with varied intensity (high and low) but should i isolate this to just 1 or 2 days a per exercise cycle or continue ?

all feedback welcome and greatly appreciated.

robinthomson likes this

How long have you been training with weights? What does you entire cycle look like? How long have you been using this workout? What injury did you have which prevented you from doing legs, and have you gotten a dr. clearance to train your legs? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get a clear picture before giving feedback.

I am 28 years old

Weight is: 78kg

Height : 172.5

according to online calculators (3 iv done) body fat: 9.23 % using the U.S. Navy body fat formula

Meals,

morn: oats plus banana, 3 egg whites and a yoke and 2 pieces of brown whole wheat toast

snack: banana

lunch: chicken breast, lean beef with rice Or Pasta with a little bit of lean meat

pre workout: Almonds, broccoli, a banana and some milk (30 min b4)

post workout: protein shake + chicken breast usually sometimes pasta

Night snack: some fruit or plain toast and maybe some milk

Very committed to this routine, also very rarely drink and if so , no beer and no more than 2/3 drinks a night.

I do stomach every day because im afraid of getting a gut and want to get it as toned as i can

I was told it was ok to do stomach most every day, but now im not to sure and although its toned my stomach id appreciate an experts point of view.

I learned most this off a friend whom does body building , but got a better understanding from bodybuilding.com (mostly

on technique / isolating etc )

have done this routine / similar to this for about a year.

I had a lower back injury, (muscles not bone) that caused me allot of pain, but its since cleared up and i am able put hard pressure on it again

without any problem.

Bob likes this

The first thing I see with your routine is that you are training triceps and shoulders four times a week without a rest in between. You are hitting the triceps and shoulders when you bench, when you perform shoulder pressing exercises, and of course when you perform your tricep routine. I am surprised this hasn't caused overtraining of your triceps. Are you on anabolic steroids? You can probably get away with this routine if you are on anabolic steroids, but you have little to no recovery time scheduled in, so you will need to fix this. I am making the assumption that you are training all days consecutively, so if I am wrong, please let me know.

You can perform abs every day if you are doing crunches or high rep training, but I wouldn't recommend it every day. In addition, spot reducing fat is impossible, so you would be better off performing some kind of HIIT training if you want to prevent excess body fat from accumulating on your abdominal region.

A whole year on this type of routine is probably overkill to be honest. You need variety, and variety of reps, sets, exercises, etc. 10 / 12 reps is what I would term medium intensity and this rep range would mainly exhaust the slow slow twitch muscle fibers, but the fast twitch muscle fibers have the greatest potential for growth (Zatsiorsky, 1995). You need to increase the intensity. It also seems like you lack a long term training program. There are many types of programs out there, but many of them rely on some sort of periodization. I am betting you stuck with this routine because it worked for you right away. This of course happens with every new trainee, they can make progress on any type of program. Spending an entire day working only a single muscle is overkill if you are not on anabolic steroids. Have you noticed a lack of progress lately?

Do you have a doctors clearance for your back? I don't want to give you many suggestions unless you have a medical clearance, but you need to be hitting legs and back if you are able to. Of course you need to start out light, very light, and slowly build up your foundation over the next year or so. That may sound like a long time, but it's far better than dealing with nagging injuries that will affect your training. Build a strong foundation for your legs and back, and then you can take advantage of the compound exercises. It's been a long time since I read the study, but a while ago they had a study which showed that exercises such s squats and deadlifts may naturally increase testosterone levels.

Now lets talk specifics. Your goal is lean muscle mass, and with that in mind, you need to widen your rep ranges. You should be performing reps of 1 to 20 reps. Not in the same work out of course, and many exercises you don't want to max out with, so you will probably only go down to 5 or 3 reps with those exercises. But the goal should be to exhaust all muscle fibers, especially the fast twitch which have the greatest potential for muscle growth. This will add much needed intensity to your routine as well.

Before I get into any more specifics about your routine, how is this routine working for you today, after using it for an entire year? Remember, workouts need to be tailored for you specifically, and if I am going to give you any specific suggestions, I need to know how this current routine is working for you. have you been making constant progress over the last 3 months?

It looks like you are doing a good job with your diet, so if you are seeing a lack in progress, I would suspect your routine is the problem. I apologize for this long post.

on the contrary thank you deeply for the long post , the more info you throw at me the better.

as for my injury to my lower back, i have waited almost 1 and 1/2 months between starting in depth exercise and my back is 100% better no need to hold back at all

i have seen a doctor and a chiropractor whom both told me it was a muscle injury but just to take it easy when starting back up also been doing lots of yoga exercises

and the odd one off set of squats and pushups jjust to keep the muscles at bay, but nothing strenuous.

im not on any form of steroids as it is illegal here (Australia) although i have not looked into it at all so i could be wrong.

yes you are 100% correct for the first 3/6 months i saw great results but after which nothing really changed, even with the diet and even with the protein shakes no real

results were being met.

I had the odd injury here and there but nothing that id say would cause me to suffer in the gym or to cause a lack of gain (this is not including my recent injury)

I have since changed a wrote up a new routine to start, as i have been researching and asking as many ppl as i can on the topic including yourself

this is what i came up with:

1: Chest/Shoulders/Tris

2: Back/Bis

3: Rest

4: Legs/abs

5: Rest

Repeat (or rest another day depending on recovery and how sore i am)

what do you think? , if you think this is an ok start then ill begin to set up the exercises to go with the days.

I hope you don't mind the brief change of focus, but instead of just focusing on the microcycle (day to day routine), lets look at a 23 week training cycle. Let's arrange your training based on a peaking cycle so that you can plan the next 23 weeks of training. Do you keep a training log? If not, this would be a great time to start keeping a training log. Here is an example of how you can plan your training for an entire cycle.

Stick to the same exercises for this cycle and repeat it at least twice. This will give us some data to see which rep ranges you respond best too in terms of growth and strength.

Weeks 1 - 3: 2 sets of 15 reps

Weeks 4 - 7: 2 sets of 12 reps

Weeks 8 - 11: 2 sets of 10 reps

Weeks 12 - 15: 3 sets of 8 reps

Weeks 16 - 19: 3 sets of 5 reps

Weeks 20 - 23: 5 sets of 3 reps (Keep non-compound movements at 5 reps).

Now you have 23 weeks of training, which will become at least 46 weeks. Record everything you can, weight used, body measurements etc. We will use this data to figure out which rep ranges your body responds best too, then you can start to focus the majority of your training in those rep ranges.

After we try this, we can try two week training rep training intervals to see which works better, but it's always, plan, execute, record, and analyze (PERA). Create a plan, execute the plan, record the results, analyze the results, and then plan your next cycle based on those results. I would suggest starting a blog here to record your results so I can follow them and offer advice along the way.

Your routine above is definitely an improvement. I would say give it a go and see how it works for you. Remember, what works for you may not work for someone else, so don't be afraid to experiment with your training. The worst thing you can do is to get stuck in a rut by not trying new training routines, exercises, reps, and techniques. With that said, there are a few things you want to be sure of, and that is to make sure you are getting enough rest. I think the routine you post above is a good start, and as long as you repeat after day 5. In addition, you can train smaller muscles such as biceps more often than bigger muscles since they heal faster, so you might want to hit biceps every third day as long as it doesn't fall a day before your supposed to work biceps. Of course this might be getting too difficult to program, and we wand to avoid paralysis by analysis when it comes to executing your routine, so feel free to just keep it simple.

Here is another split you can try if you want to. I have had great success with many clients on this routine, but due to the laws of individual differences, you might respond differently:

Monday: Chest, shoulders triceps, biceps.

Tuesday: Legs, Lower Back, Upper Back

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Repeat Monday.

Friday: Repeat Tuesday

Saturday: Biceps, Triceps, Calve Muscles

Sunday: Off

This is just an example of another way you can plan your microcycle.

If you have any questions, let me know. :cheers:

WOW, Bob that's incredible i cant thank you enough, no one has taken the time to explain it to me so clearly, know that i will def follow through on this.

Im gonna try your workout and start a blog to keep you updated.

plus i just wanted to make sure i have this correct , when you mentioned "Weeks 1 - 3: 2 sets of 15 reps" for example you are saying that i only do 2 sets per exercise , am i correct?

ok i guess my nest step is to find the best exercises to allocate to these days for these muscle groups , ill do this and get back to you .

Thanks again for the constant updates and information , im loving all that im being told

Bob likes this

WOW, Bob that's incredible i cant thank you enough, no one has taken the time to explain it to me so clearly, know that i will def follow through on this.

Im gonna try your workout and start a blog to keep you updated.

plus i just wanted to make sure i have this correct , when you mentioned "Weeks 1 - 3: 2 sets of 15 reps" for example you are saying that i only do 2 sets per exercise , am i correct?

ok i guess my nest step is to find the best exercises to allocate to these days for these muscle groups , ill do this and get back to you .

Thanks again for the constant updates and information , im loving all that im being told

No problem Farzan, it's my pleasure to help when I can.

Exactly, 2 sets of 15 reps, but you don't have to follow that exact set/rep scheme I have outlined, you could do 1 or 3 sets at each rep range, it's really up to you. You could incorporate autoregulatory type of training into your program and on the days you are feeling good, perform 2 or 3 additional sets, and on the days you are feeling worn out, cut back on the number of sets.

There are so many ways you can change this program to suit your needs and desires. For example, on Monday you could do flat bench press and dumbbell flys, and on Thursday you could do flat bench press and incline bench press. It's really up to you, and with PERA we will be able to look back at your training logs and figure out what is working and what is not. We then cut out what is not working and focus more attention on what is.

With this type of split, you won't need five exercises for each muscle group. When you perform bench press, shoulder presses, and other pressing exercises, your triceps are getting a work out. Save the isolation training for the end of your workout. So here is an example of how you could set up your training:

Monday: Flat Bench (Works chest, triceps, and shoulders), Shoulder Presses (Works Shoulders and Triceps), Incline Dumbbell Flys (Works Pecs), Curls, Tricep Extensions, Preacher Curls. Depending how much time you want to spend in the gym, you can add more or remove exercises, or add or remove sets.

Another key point you want to keep in mind is that no matter which cycle/routine you use, at some point it will produce diminishing returns, so you will need to change it up. Of course you need to remember the cycles that really work for you and come back to them from time to time as they will usually continue to produce good results again after some time off the cycle. Variety keeps it interesting, so don't be afraid to change things up.

Here is my new system (would you recommend i change anything / replace anything )

Day 1:

3 x Bench press (wide grip) , sets of 12

3 x Barbell Shoulder Press , sets of 12

3 x Benched dumbbell flys , set of 12

3 x Barbell Curls , set of 12

3 x Dumbell Curls , set of 12

day 2:

3 x Barbell Deadlift , set of 12

3 x Barbell Full Squat , set of 12

3 x Dumbbell Lunges , set of 12

-

-

day 3: rest

day 4: Repeat day 1 (some smaller variations)

3 x Bench press (wide grip) , sets of 12

3 x Dumbbell Shoulder Press , sets of 12 (changed to dumbbell from barbell )

3 x Benched dumbbell flys , set of 12

3 x Standing dumbbell Lateral Raises , set of 12 ( different exercise )

3 x Dumbbell Curls , set of 12

day 5: repeat day 2

-

-

Day 6:

3 x Barbell Curls , set of 12

3 x Cross body Hammer Curl , set of 12

3 x Skull crushes , set of 12

3 x bench dips , set of 12

3 x Rocking Standing Calf Raise , set of 12

Day 7: rest

Obviously im using as much from what i know, but if you think any of these exercises should be different ill change them to as you advise.

Also Im not too knowledgeable on back and leg exercises so i was only able to find 3 exercises i thought that fit ( as shown on day 2 ), please help me in that area

if you are able.

my other inquiry is can i on one of my rest days incorporate a 20 min jog/run and is there any need for stomach exercises at this point ?

once again your advice and knowledge is most greatly appreciated Bob.

My pleasure, and it looks good.

You can add in some HIIT training on your leg days, at least that is what I would recommend if you want to lose fat and retain muscle mass. You can also do crunches on your training days too if you want. I see no reason why you can't continue to do them on those days, but it's entirely up to you. I say we give this routine a try and see what happens.

On leg day you might want to add in some type of rowing exercise for the upper back.

Vitamin C will help reduce DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).

When you get to the lower rep ranges you will want to bring your grip in on the Bench Press as you don't want to put too much stress on your shoulders. :cheers:

Sounds good ill have to work my abs in there somewhere as well.

only other questing i had was , are there any other upper back exercises you can recommend,

as i do most my work at home but i dont have a rowing machine.

at the moment this is what is have

day 5: repeat day 2

4 x squats with a band , set of 12 or (using HIT method)

-

+ crunches / abs exercises

Bent over row is a great exercise you can perform with a barbell or dumbbells. I think you are referring to HIT instead of HIIT. HIIT is high intensity interval training and completely different than HIT. You wan to perform HIIT which you can perform on a stationary bike. Here is an article I wrote on High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT.

Your the best Bob, just a life saver, cant thank you enough , have a new routine now starting it fresh tomorrow and ill keep you updated on everything

thanks for all your help im sure ill be posting again soon in the future and not to mention a blog.

thank you heaps.

No problem Farzan, it's my pleasure to help. Keep me updated on how it's going. :beer:

Hello all, this is my main muscle building plan, i am posting this as i know there are those that have so very much more experience than me and can help me out in changing and or

generally advising me if im doing anything wrong. and what to do to better my routine and how to better my routine.

day 1: chest

5 x bench press , sets of 12

4 x seated incline dumbbell lifts, set of 15/12

4 x incline bench press , set of 12 /10

4 x benched dumbbell flys

protein shake and meal

day 2: Shoulders

5 x seated dumbbell raises, sets of 10/12

4 x Standing dumbbel Lateral Raises, set of 15/20

4 x seated barbell Shoulder Press , set of 12/10

4 x Seated dumbbell Lateral Raises, set of 12/15

protein shake and meal

day 3: chest

Cardio: 20/40 min run

protein shake and meal

day 4: Triceps

3 x Tricep Dumbbell Kickback , sets of 12/10 per arm

3 x Overhead Triceps Extension (with dumbbells) 10/15 per arm

3 x skull crushes , 12/10 per set

4 x bench dips , set of 15/20

protein shake and meal

day 5: Biceps

5 x Barbell Curl , sets of 12/10

4 x Biceps curls 10/12 per arm

4 x Cross body Hammer Curl , 12/10 per set

4 x Zottman , set of 12/15

protein shake and meal

1 or 2 days rest and then repeat.

I am aware there is no back or leg exercises due to an injury that is now better, but would appreciate any and all critique to current exercises and how to better them and what i should be doing

if i am doing something wrong,

Also i do stomach almost every day, the results are great but i do allot of stomach exercises with varied intensity (high and low) but should i isolate this to just 1 or 2 days a per exercise cycle or continue ?

all feedback welcome and greatly appreciated.

My legs are week please also suggest me some good workout for it. Looking forward for your hearing.

My legs are week please also suggest me some good workout for it. Looking forward for your hearing.

Can you tell me what your current work outs look like? How long have you been training?

Components of a safe, effective exercise program are Frequency, intensity, and time or duration,
If you are overweight and out of fitness.....

All of you shared good routine for your workout. 

My daily workout routine is such as: 

Jogging: 15 minutes, 

Running: 15 minutes,

Cycling: 15 minuts, 

Push ups: 25, 

Pull ups: 25, 

Sits ups: 100.

All of you shared good routine for your workout. 

My daily workout routine is such as: 

Jogging: 15 minutes, 

Running: 15 minutes,

Cycling: 15 minuts, 

Push ups: 25, 

Pull ups: 25, 

Sits ups: 100.

​Oh wow, .....amazing and I am really impressed by this routine of yours. It is a lot if you do it on daily basis and I must appreciate you for that.

Bob likes this

Excellent for not having weights.

To each beginner, I would suggest a full body training three times weekly. One exercise for each muscle group per training, only basic exercises.

For example, exercises would be as following:

Chest - bench press/dumbell press/dips (wide, narrow)

Back - chin ups/pull ups/barbel rows/dumbbell rows/deadlift (wide, narrow)

Legs - squats (all types)

That would also do arms and shoulders.

After a few weeks or months, I would drop in the isolation exercises and gradually convert the full body training to split training.

People are not aware how great they can benefit from these exercises.

I am very sorry I didn't start my gym story with full body training. I had trained only biceps, back and abs. Now I am struggling with the issues: overdeveloped back muscles/biceps/quadriceps, underdeveloped chest muscles and triceps. My calves are also underdeveloped, due to genetics. I have tried hundreds of different training programs for calves, but neither one worked for me.

Also, the most important thing that I had neglected during my first workouts is nutrition. I gained some muscles quickly but came to a certain point where my "begginer" gains ended. After a year of wandering I realized how the nutrition is important and I was back on track, fully motivated.

This is a message to all begginers: LEARN FROM THE MISTAKES OF OTHERS, in order to achieve maximum possible results in shortest possible time. Don't waste your time doing it on "your" way, like I did.

Bob likes this